Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Editing - What's Working for Me So Far


Not sure if anyone out there would find this helpful, but I do. It's often said that when editing, try reading your work aloud or print it out -- do something that sets it apart from what you're used to staring at day in and day out while you wrote the thing.

Now, I'm not going to waste money printing out my 300+ page novel, nor am I going to risk getting in trouble and print it at work. And printing it out in a point size of 6 just to cram the words into a fewer number of pages? Well, that Hell would almost be as bad as the editing process in general. So I do this, and it has been working so far.

I export my WIP as a .mobi file (easy to do when using Scrivener) and save it to my Kindle. Not only does it give me a different way to perceive my story, it allows me to TAKE NOTES! I use my finger to highlight everything wrong and jot a small note that I'll go back to later after I've been through the whole damn thing. That's actually where I'm at now: I marked over 600 things and am going through my WIP in Scrivener, fixing what needs fixing. Luckily these are all little things -- removing passive voice and rewording clunky sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment