Sunday, June 10, 2012

Birds of a Feather

So I was working on one of my stories this morning, minding my own business, when I heard a flurry of birds chirping loudly and constantly outside. At first, I ignored them. After five minutes, the chirping got louder and caught my cat's attention. It takes a lot for her to even consider moving.

So, I decided to take a look and found our neighbor's cat in my yard with a bird flailing in its jaws. The bird's comrades were dive bombing the cat while they chirped, forcing the cat to take its prize under the cover of bushes. Some of the birds landed nearby, and I swear they were pacing back and forth...as if they weren't sure what to do. The whole time they were chirping in such a way that I can only describe as panicked.

After a bit, the cat moved the bird to somewhere out of my view, and the birds went after him again. I couldn't see the outcome, but the strange chirping continued on for the next fifteen minutes or so. It was very strange.

I have no understanding of a bird's brain. I don't know how smart they are. They definitely seemed to look out for one another this morning. I'm actually sitting here at 11:45pm wondering if they're capable of remembering what happened this morning. Do they feel sad? Do they miss their friend? Will they simply come back to my yard tomorrow, totally unaware of the feline waiting in the bushes.

No comments:

Post a Comment